Monday, June 28, 2010

HELP! Attempt to amp up a cardigan

I like to think that I'm a pretty smart trip packer. I find out what the weather is supposed to be like where we're going, pack accordingly, then pack a few more things for the "just in case" scenarios that inevitably happen. On our last trip I did the same thing, but came up short on warm layers because I'd forgotten that "the wind chill factor" is an actual thing over there. So I headed to the thrift store.

I found this nice little ribbed cardigan for a pretty good price, but now that it's home and in my closet, it's in amongst about half a dozen other cardigans just like it.

This seemed like the perfect opportunity to try out a tutorial I stumbled upon a while ago and give it some pizazz. I didn't follow the tutorial exactly because I was working with a limited amount of scrap. This lovely finished strip of turquoise cotton came off of the dress that I made for my daughter out of a women's skirt. This was the original sash I put on it, then decided the color wasn't quite right and took it off.


I just eyeballed some pleats, pinned them as I went down the side of the sweater then sewed it into place right on top of the existing line of stitches.

Here's where I ran into a problem. The side on the right is the one I did first. Afterwards I thought it might look kind of funny to have the ruffle stop in the middle of the chest. So I did the same thing on the other side, then went back and added more pleats above it until it reached the shoulder seam. (See the pins? Those pleats aren't permanent yet.)

I need some help. Which do you think looks better? Pleats to the shoulder or just part of the way? Here are some more photos to help you help me decide.

Does that look fine having the pleats stop there?

Should they continue up to the shoulder?

Or is that too much?

I still don't know which one I like. Will you please, please leave me a comment telling me what you think? Otherwise this cardigan may never see the light of day again.

Oh yeah, I also want to replace the buttons with ones that match the turquoise fabric. What do you think? (You'll have to blur your eyes a little and use your imagination on this one, k?)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely all the way up to the shoulder!

Anonymous said...

To the shoulder:):):)

Wonders said...

All the way to the shoulder, the other one just looks unfinished. I LOVE the buttons too, definitely do the buttons and I think it will be fabulous.

eve said...

i agree- up to the shoulder!